Deliver timely SMS experiences all year with these key marketing touchpoints and tips.
From regional holidays to international celebrations, find inspiration to help your seasonal marketing strategies stand out. Discover Australia’s top marketing opportunities to engage, build loyalty, and drive revenue via text messaging.
Once you’re ready to dig in and start scheduling your campaigns, use our SMS Planning Calendar Template. It’s got everything you need to track marketing moments, which audiences you’re engaging, and campaign status.
In a rush? Bookmark this post to reference throughout the year, and download the full 2023 Australia calendar. You can also download calendars for the US, UK, and Canada.
January 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Kick off the new year with timely text messages throughout January. At the start of the month, promote your most relaxing products to help subscribers recharge from the holidays and start the year refreshed. Then, tap into Australia Day festivities with BOGO deals on summer items—like beach gear, sunscreen, and barbecue snack packs.
- 1 January: New Year’s Day
- 11 January: International Thank You Day
- 22 January: Lunar New Year
- 24 January: International Day of Education
- 26 January: Australia Day
February 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Help your subscribers beat the heat by promoting your refreshing summer items. Stand out to subscribers by reminding them of these lesser-known moments of celebration, or offer the convenience of free gift-wrapping on Valentine’s Day gifts to encourage subscribers to convert.
- 2 February: World Wetlands Day
- 11 February: International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- 14 February: Valentine’s Day
- 17 February: Random Acts of Kindness Day
- 22 February: World Thinking Day
March 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Between Labour Day and Canberra Day, March is full of regional holidays to connect with subscribers. Use Attentive’s Two-Way JourneysTM in your welcome flow to ask subscribers which state or territory they live in, and save their responses as custom attributes. If you’re offering Labour Day discounts, simply select the relevant customer segments for each holiday and watch the revenue roll in.
- Women’s History Month
- 1 March: First Day of Autumn
- 5 March: Clean Up Australia Day
- 6 March: Labour Day (WA)
- 8 March: International Women’s Day
- 13 March: Eight Hours Day / Labour Day (TS, VI)
- 13 March: Canberra Day (ACT)
- 13 March: Commonwealth Day
- 17 March: St. Patrick’s Day
- 20 March: Labour Day (ACT)
- 21 March: World Poetry Day
April 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Take advantage of April’s key marketing dates to deliver unique value to subscribers and boost seasonal revenue. Leading up to Easter, delight last-minute shoppers with free two-day shipping and gift card options. For Earth Day, encourage your subscribers to shop green and spend time in nature by sharing deals on sustainable items and outdoor equipment.
- 1 April: April Fool’s Day
- 2 April: International Children's Book Day
- 7 April: World Health Day
- 9 April: Easter
- 15 April: World Art Day
- 21 April: International Creativity and Innovation Day
- 22 April: Earth Day
- 23 April: World Book Day
- 25 April: Anzac Day
May 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Help your subscribers celebrate the mother figures in their lives this month with personalized text messages. Leading up to Mother’s Day, ask your subscribers who they’re looking to get a gift for, how they’re planning to celebrate, and/or product types they’re looking for. Then, with Attentive’s Two-Way Journeys, you can instantly reply with a personalized recommendation based on their preferences.
- 1 May: May Day (NT)
- 1 May: Labour Day (QL)
- 12 May: International Nurses Day
- 14 May: Mother's Day
- 15 May: Start of National Families Week
- 18 May: International Museum Day
June 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: June kicks off the winter sales season. Offer subscribers 15% off to stock up on winter essentials, like warm apparel and cozy decor. And make sure your cart abandonment journeys are active to remind high-intent shoppers of their seasonal goodies.
- Pride Month
- 1 June: First Day of Winter
- 3 June: Mabo Day
- 3 June: World Bicycle Day
- 5 June: Western Australia Day (WA)
- 6 June: Queensland Day
- 7 June: Global Running Day
- 8 June: World Ocean Day
- 12 June: King’s Birthday
- 21 June: International Yoga Day
July 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: From World Chocolate Day to International Self-Care Day, use July’s unique marketing holidays to get subscribers engaged. For World Emoji Day, diversify your campaign messages by telling your brand’s story using only emojis—following up with a quick “translation” to grow brand awareness.
- Black History Month
- 1 July: International Joke Day
- 7 July: World Chocolate Day
- 17 July: World Emoji Day
- 24 July: International Self-Care Day
- 30 July: National Tree Day
- 30 July: International Day of Friendship
August 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Grow brand loyalty this August by offering VIP perks around these seasonal moments. Help subscribers treat their furry friends for International Cat and Dog Days by offering an SMS-exclusive discount on pet toys and accessories. Encourage conversions and repeat purchases by offering in-store credit with every purchase during these holidays.
- 5 August: International Beer Day
- 5 August: National Jeans for Genes Day
- 7 August: Picnic Day (NT)
- 8 August: International Cat Day
- 12 August: International Youth Day
- 13 August: International Lefthanders Day
- 19 August: World Photography Day
- 26 August: International Dog Day
September 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Spring is in the air…and so is customer engagement! Connect with subscribers on your brand mission and values for International Day of Charity. Let subscribers know you’ll donate a percentage of every purchase to a charity that aligns with your values. Include a blog post to educate subscribers on the cause and organization’s impact.
- 1 September: First Day of Spring
- 3 September: Father’s Day
- 5 September: International Day of Charity
- 6 September: World Smile Day
- 17 September: Australian Citizenship Day
- 19 September: Family Day (ACT)
- 19 September: Talk Like a Pirate Day
- 21 September: International Day of Peace
- 29 September: World Heart Day
October 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Keep subscribers engaged before the holiday season with these fun marketing touchpoints. On Halloween, invite SMS subscribers to “trick or treat” on your website or in-store for a free gift with purchase.
- 1 October: International Coffee Day
- 2 October: Labour Day (ACT, NSW, SA)
- 5 October: World Teachers’ Day
- 10 October: World Mental Health Day
- 16 October: World Food Day
- 24 October: National Kangaroo Awareness Day
- 29 October: Grandparents’ Day
- 31 October: Halloween
November 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: November is full of can’t-miss marketing moments for holiday shopping. According to the National Australia Bank, Aussies were estimated to have spent an estimated $7 billion over Black Friday and Cyber Monday in 2022. Tap into this demand by sharing curated gift guides, helping subscribers check off their gifting list while encouraging product discovery.
- 11 November: Singles’ Day
- 11 November: Remembrance Day
- 21 November: World Television Day
- 24 November: Black Friday
- 27 November: Cyber Monday
- 28 November: Giving Tuesday
December 2023 Holidays
SMS tip of the month: Keep the festivities going after Christmas with an SMS-only extension on your Boxing Day sales. Then, use behavioral data to share a “last chance” reminder with the subscriber segment who hasn’t shopped the sale yet. These timely touchpoints are a great way to keep customers engaged going into 2024.
- 1 December: First Day of Summer
- 3 December: International Day of Persons With Disabilities
- 5 December: International Volunteers Day
- 10 December: Human Rights Day
- 11 December: Green Monday
- 15 December: Free Shipping Day
- 26 December: Boxing Day
- 31 December: New Year’s Eve
Want more SMS inspiration for 2023’s key dates and holidays? Browse hundreds of text messaging campaigns sent by our customers in our SMS gallery, Texts We Love.