These global e-commerce statistics highlight the latest trends in online shopping and consumer behavior.
With e-commerce projected to keep growing in the coming years, marketers need to understand the current landscape and how the industry is changing. Being aware of the latest trends gives you an edge to make better decisions and stay ahead of the competition.
We’ve compiled this handy list of over 35 essential e-commerce statistics that dig into the prevalence of mobile shopping, consumers’ habits and expectations, and more.
Bookmark this post and refer to it anytime you need help building a presentation, shaping your strategy, or determining where to put more focus as a brand.
Global e-commerce growth projections
- In 2022, US retail e-commerce sales surpassed $1 trillion for the first time ever.
- In 2023, worldwide e-commerce as a percentage of total retail sales will hit 20%.
- US retail e-commerce sales will grow 10% in 2023, and more than 10% annually from 2024 to 2027.
- E-commerce will account for 15.6% of total US retail sales in 2023, and is estimated to reach over 20% by 2027.
- E-commerce will account for 30.6% of total UK retail sales in 2023.
- E-commerce will account for 11.7% of total Canadian retail sales in 2023, and is estimated to reach nearly 14% by 2027.
- E-commerce will account for 9.3% of total Australian retail sales in 2023.
Mobile commerce statistics
- Annual retail m-commerce sales in the US will reach over $740 billion in 2026.
- M-commerce will account for 43.4% of US e-commerce sales in 2023.
- US m-commerce sales will grow 14.7% in 2023, and over 13% annually from 2024 to 2026.
- M-commerce will account for 61% of UK e-commerce sales in 2023, breaking the 60% threshold.
- UK m-commerce sales will grow 7.6% in 2023, and almost 5.8% in 2024.
- M-commerce will account for 37.4% of Canadian e-commerce sales in 2023, and is estimated to reach over 40% in 2026.
- Canadian m-commerce sales will grow 7.2% in 2023, and over 13% in 2024.
- M-commerce will account for 42.7% of Australian e-commerce sales in 2023.
- Australian m-commerce sales will grow 7% in 2023, and almost 5% in 2024.
Online shopping statistics
Consumer behavior statistics
- 41% of consumers shop online over six times a month.
- Over half of consumers (55%) shop online at least once a week, if not more.
- 5 in 7 consumers (71%) have used their mobile phone for shopping.
- 37% of consumers shop online at least once a week on their mobile phone.
- 74% of consumers say they’re most likely to shop on their phone while watching TV at night.
- 65% of consumers say they’re most likely to shop on their phone when they get a text from a brand about a sale.
- 57% of consumers say they’re most likely to shop on their phone while drinking their morning coffee.
- 42% of consumers start with a search engine when shopping for a product online.
- 89% of consumers participate in hybrid shopping at least some of the time.
- 65% of consumers say they'll remain loyal to companies that offer a more personalized experience.
- 71% of consumers expect companies to deliver personalized interactions, and 76% get frustrated when that doesn’t happen.
- 56% of customers expect offers to always be personalized.
- The majority of US shoppers would share personal information like their name, email, and gender to get personalized recommendations.
- Over 40% of global consumers would go a step further and share their age and birthday to get personalized recommendations.
- 49% of US consumers want personalized recommendations in return for sharing their product preferences.
- Many shoppers in the UK (44%), Canada (53%), and Australia (45%) would like to receive a personalized recommendation after sharing their product preferences.
Purchase decision statistics
- 66% of shoppers globally say a great discount would influence them to spend more than they originally planned.
- 50% of shoppers globally say fast shipping would encourage them to splurge.
- 43% of consumers globally say that earning and redeeming loyalty perks would encourage them to spend more.
- 40% of global consumers say great customer service will influence them to spend more with a brand.
- 36% of consumers globally say bundled products would be a strong incentive for them to spend more with a brand.
- 94% of customers say a positive customer service experience makes them more likely to purchase again.
Love numbers? Check out these must-know texting statistics about why SMS marketing works, what makes consumers opt-in, how it improves the shopping experience, and more.